Address

Author Topic: Melbourne makerspace?  (Read 2048 times)

bethjaneway

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
Melbourne makerspace?
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and start a forum topic for this, since someone asked about it this morning. Also, there was a separate email today to Hackerspace Titusville about someone moving to the Brevard area looking for a makerspace. I don't know if its the same person, but it seems like it's time to finally get a physical site in Brevard County.

Seems to me the first things we need to do are

1) find a site
2) get a laser cutter
3) get a 3d printer
4) maybe some tools like a drill press.

I emailed Hackerspace Titusville, maybe I should set up a meet up for this weekend and see if we can start gathering people to get this going!

Note: To improve mood, administer chocolate.

bethjaneway

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne makerspace?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
Ok, let's meetup on Saturday 12-3 at Starbucks on New Haven in Melbourne! 

http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Makerspace-Florida-USA/events/116035392/

tetsuharu

• FamiLAB Member
  • My sincerest contrafibularities.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »
How's this comin? I joined the group and see the meetups come and go, but I haven't made it out to see what you folks are up to yet.

I hope things are going well!

darkmoonsinger

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • I am no one but all that I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
Saw this on the hackerspaces.org distribution and figured I'd pass it along. Make magazine is doing a "making makerspaces" series, of which this is the first article. More to come!

bethjaneway

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:06:47 AM »
Thanks! It's going well, we've had several meetings and picked a logo. Still looking into space but there are many options around here so we are weighing them.

Meanwhile we are having biweekly Show N Tell where people bring their own projects and talk about them. That's worked pretty well. So far every week someone's brought something interesting.

Currently we have 4-5 different social presences. They're each drawing in different people but it's a lot of cross-posting. So a goal is automating that somehow.   Another goal is shortening each meeting's business discussion, so we can get to the projects sooner. People are pretty enthusiastic!