Happy to help, but REALLY busy for the next 2 weeks. Maybe a google hangout after that to discuss? (email@example.com
We can share all our documents (heavily patterned after Noisebridge and their back & forth with IRS)
This thread should be public and should contain enough to get you started - http://forums.familab.org/index.php/topic,638.0.html
Here's some quick tips:
1) Do cool stuff now.
2) Document all the cool stuff you do - photos / blog of everything
3) Read the IRS instructions. Read them again. Keep reading them - its all there, but it takes a while for it to sink in.
4) I've been told that mentioning "Open Hardware" or "Open Software" triggers a more formal review due to companies creating side foundations to shield earnings from taxes. No idea if this is true, but good to consider.
5) If you don't have an accounting system and excellent financials - now is a great time to start. I recommend Quickbooks Online. Yep, its $30 a month, but WELL worth it.
6) Read the instructions again