The new software is really horrible. I experienced nothing but problems with it yesterday. It would regularly take something that was 8" wide, and condense it down to 3" wide. It took many many disconnects and reconnects before I got it working. At least twice, the motors stopped and the laser didn't, burning a hole in my material. There were also many times where I set the machine to do 1 pass, and it would do double, regardless of setting. Set it to 2, it would do 4...etc. On the servo horns that I did, the machine ran way too fast and caused my circles to come out as ovals.
I don't think the problem is with the software, so much as possibly the length of cord/extension of the USB cable and possibly getting some sort of interference.
The monitor also needs to be identified and driver installed for it. It's impossible to determine that a circle is a circle while designing things in inkscape, because the proper resolution is not set. I could not find the proper resolution for the screen either, as the options available on the machine didn't have what apparently is the native resolution for that monitor.