Address

Author Topic: Python  (Read 1190 times)

dr_jkl

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
Python
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
As a Perl programmer, I have to ask: is it worth it to learn python? I've been working on a project to convert some python scripts to Perl so that they are easier to maintain, but I am not sure it's worth picking up a new language just for that. What are everyone's experiences with using python in a corporate environment?

ThantiK

• FamiLAB Member
  • Resident 3D printer guru.
    • View Profile
Re: Python
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:11:49 AM »
I've been working on a project to convert some python scripts to Perl so that they are easier to maintain.

Does not compute.

dr_jkl

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
 If you have a shop full of Perl programmers and nobody knows python but a feature needs to be added to a python script... I thought it better to rewrite it in a language that is more widely used around the shop...

My question is more along the lines of does it make more sense to rewrite something in a language you know or pick up a second language just to fix someone else's code?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ThantiK

• FamiLAB Member
  • Resident 3D printer guru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
http://brainsik.theory.org/.:./2009/why-reddit-uses-python
"The other thing that keeps us on Python, and this is the major thing, is how readable and writable it is. When we hire new employees ? I don?t think we?ve yet hired an employee who knew Python. I just say, ?everything you write needs to be in Python.? Just so I can read it. And it?s awesome because I can see from across the room, looking at their screen, whether their code is good or bad. Because good Python code has a very obvious structure. And that makes my life so much easier. [?] It?s extremely expressive, extremely readable, and extremely writable. And that just keeps life smooth."
If your guys know perl, they'd pick up python in no time at all.  In general, I'd say just rewrite it in a language you're more comfortable in though.  Being comfortable in a language generally outweighs any performance differences due to knowing all the nuances of the language, all the pitfalls, and where it falls short.  But learn Python anyways.  PyPi has just as many libraries as cpan does, and covers practically anything you could need.  The language forces clean semantics, as your code just won't run if you don't follow the standard.

willasaywhat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
I'm rather fond of Python, and I was a Perl person back in the day. Its growing in popularity, and is really freaking useful for all sorts of tasks. I personally have used it for some web development, penetration testing, and automation work as well as crazy FamiLAB projects like the face-detection on the PTZ cam that uploads to twitter. Definitely worth learning, and its easy. If I never have to see #, @, or $ I'll be happy.