Address

Author Topic: Tips for finding common electronic parts (like .100 header)  (Read 2788 times)

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
Tips for finding common electronic parts (like .100 header)
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:16:01 AM »
Some electronic items we use are VERY common, yet for some reason difficult to find if you don't know the exact name, or style.

I've been on the hunt to buy a bunch of male & female headers, standard sockets & male connectors (I now know these are called "IDC connectors" yet struggled to find them at mouser, digikey, etc.

Along the way, I found a few things that might help:

LadyAda's Part Finder
Jameco's catalog
Futurelec
  • I've not ordered from them before. They are in Australia, so many people complain about the time it takes parts to arrive, AND you pay conversions on top (I paid an extra $8 on a $200 order), and shipping is not only slow, it is pricey - BUT the part cost is very low and there are no minimum quantities. We will see if this was a mistake or not. I ordered lots of common parts for future projects, so I could handle the expected slow delivery times.
  • Please be "eyes wide open" if ordering from them. This isn't a recommendation (yet...)
  • If I get all the stuff I ordered, I'll be able to connectorize my projects quicker, which is often a big frustration for me when building modular things. I'll also be able to provide connectors to others that need them quickly. :)
Anyway, hope this helps  - if you have any other great sourcing ideas, post 'em!

Matt

• Secretary
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for finding common electronic parts (like .100 header)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
I have one supplier to add to the list. I have used them quite a bit in the past and they are a good, US based supplier. They mostly cater to the DIY amp/guitar effects builder community but many of the products they sell have much broader applications. Most of the ICs are going to be analog so if you're looking for shift registers or micro controllers then you will need to look elsewhere. They do have decent "kits" of common resistor and capacitor sizes in handy little plastic cases.

https://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

-Matt

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:23:40 AM »

They do have decent "kits" of common resistor and capacitor sizes in handy little plastic cases.

LOVE kits like that (direct link: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Parts+Kits) - that's more or less what I'm doing with my big futurelec order - is making my own connector kits because I couldn't find premade ones...

I'll be ordering from Small Bear once I get the futurelec stuff kitted :)

Thanks!!

Lensman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
At school, we keep a catalog of "design with these" parts, both stuff we stock, and stuff we've ordered before (and so have gone through the pain of ID'ing suppliers).  This is a great use for the wiki...

I'm also soliciting suggestions for parts we should stock on the electronics bench.

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
I'm also soliciting suggestions for parts we should stock on the electronics bench.

And I'll suggest that each part has a suggested donation amount for replenishment.

Take a part? Pull our your phone and paypal $1 to treasurer@familab.org   :)

willasaywhat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
Mike/Ian, I am all over this electronics bench part restocking thing. I love the idea of being able to walk in and make things.

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
Matt is thinking about vending machines again too :)

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:46 AM »
[/list]Futurelec
  • I've not ordered from them before. They are in Australia, so many people complain about the time it takes parts to arrive, AND you pay conversions on top (I paid an extra $8 on a $200 order), and shipping is not only slow, it is pricey - BUT the part cost is very low and there are no minimum quantities. We will see if this was a mistake or not. I ordered lots of common parts for future projects, so I could handle the expected slow delivery times.
  • Please be "eyes wide open" if ordering from them. This isn't a recommendation (yet...)
  • If I get all the stuff I ordered, I'll be able to connectorize my projects quicker, which is often a big frustration for me when building modular things. I'll also be able to provide connectors to others that need them quickly. :)

Update on Futurelec - a month went by, I finally emailed them. Sure enough 4 parts were out of stock (Ironically, I found them by searching for keypads and then decided to add on all the connectors - and the keypads are out of stock) - and the order still needs to come from Australia, so looks like this will be a 2 month order cycle.

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »
My futurelec order arrived this week - it is complete (minus the items we cancelled), and I now have a bunch of plano trays with LOTS of connector parts :)

I'm prepping a 2nd order to fill in some gaps (why didn't I order the Raspberry Pi sized IDC connector - DUH...) - if anyone wants some connectory stuff, let me know ASAP and I'll add it to my order - then you'll see it in 6-8 weeks :)

PockyBum522

• Pocky
  • Oh alcohol, I still drink to your health~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »
We can always use m>m and f>f .10 jumper cables. I am constantly looking for those for projects and having to disassemble old projects. A bin at the lab would be lovely.

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
We can always use m>m and f>f .10 jumper cables. I am constantly looking for those for projects and having to disassemble old projects. A bin at the lab would be lovely.

Funny - they don't seem to sell them. I'll throw some extras in my next skycraft, adafruit, etc. order

PockyBum522

• Pocky
  • Oh alcohol, I still drink to your health~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
You're a saint. :)

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »
You're a saint. :)

We must have wildly different criteria for sainthood :P

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 06:53:20 AM »
This round of orders is from Futurlec (this time, the ship notice came in 2 days...), and from Jameco.

The futurlec order is more connectors (I missed a few sizes last time in the bulk order, and wanted some additional styles), as well as some ULN2981 8 channel source ICs, some SOIC adapters, and I'm trying some of their component grab bags.

The Jameco order included the .1 jumpers for the lab that pocky requested, a keypad (the reason for the original futurlec order, but then they were out of stock) and some bulk multi-conductor cable that I can use between devices & sensors when using all these connectors.

Once I get all the connectors sorted out, I'll stock the lab with a few of each so they are available. If there is a larger need for them, I now know how to get them very inexpensively.