Address

Author Topic: Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 5638 times)

f00bard

• FamiLAB Member
  • Da Real MVP
    • View Profile
Frequently Asked Questions
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
"What is FamiLAB?" - We are different things to different people, but our mission states - "FamiLAB is a community that fosters learning and creativity through hands-on projects, collaboration, and the sharing of skills & tools to improve ourselves and enrich the world around us. Please read the "About FamiLAB" page on the website - http://familab.org/blog/about/

"When can I come out for a tour?"- We have a monthly open house the 1st Tuesday night of every month. It is the best way to meet the community and see the space, tools and projects at FamiLAB. Check the website and the calendar to be sure, but we are pretty consistent with that event.

"Can I join without using Paypal?" - Yes, we accept cash or checks (made out to FamiLAB). Contact the treasurer (currently Ian aka  digitalman2112) to make arrangements.

"Do you have hourly / daily / weekly membership options" - No.

"Will you build X for me" - No, however you can become a member and we will help you learn how to make it - or you can post on our forum, discussion list, IRC, etc. and offer to pay one of our members directly.

"Are minors allowed to be members" - No. Minors are allowed in the space with their parent / guardian, and we have a Young Makers program http://youngmakers.familab.org, but minors are not issued a key to FamiLAB, nor should they be given one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:17:56 AM by f00bard »

sammyr2011

• View Profile
Re: Frequently Asked Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
I heard about hacker spaces via life hacker.  As far as what I've read so far, this sounds like something fun to do. How exactly do I start getting involved? 

Hybridsix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
If you're local, come and visit one of our open houses (first tuesday of every month) or attend a class, or, hop in our IRC channel on Freenode #familab and come chat. One of our members would be more than happy to give you a tour if you cannot make it to a regular event.

Once you've been to one of these events, if you wish to become a member, we've got a packet you can download from the regular website, or get a paper copy at the lab.

If you just wish to be a supporting donor, let us know and we will make other arrangements.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:03:23 PM by Hybridsix »

sammyr2011

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
I'm about 10 minutes out on Colonial and Goldenrod.  Since I'm still a college student I'm not exactly rolling in money, but if I do choose to join after a visit I will be more than willing to help out when possible.  When is the next event that is open to the public.  The second Tuesday of the month is a ways away.

ThantiK

• FamiLAB Member
  • Resident 3D printer guru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
Why exactly is this board called NSFAQ?  Not safe for asking questions?

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:38:01 AM »
IIRC - "Not So Frequently Asked Questions"