Address

Author Topic: Rackmount Servers  (Read 3319 times)

Michael R. Wally

• Be Mega!
    • View Profile
Rackmount Servers
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
I used to help manage an impressive telecommunications company, and I inherited a lot of the gear when the FCC shut us down.  A lot of this stuff has just been shtting in my house for the last 3 years, and I cannot stand seeing it collect dust any longer.  I'd be willing to part with the following equipment if you can convince me that it will be put to good use.  There are 12 machines here, all pretty respectable specs.  (The original invoices from 2010 add up to over $15,000.)

Help these machines find a new purpose in life.

10x Dell PowerEdge SC1425
Dual Intel Xeon Processor 3.2GHz
4GB DDR2 400 Mhz DIMM RAM
2x 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
Dual Integrated 10/100/1000 NIC

1x Dell PowerEdge 1900 (not pictured)
Intel Xeon 2.33GHz Dual Core 2x2MB Cache Processor

4GB 667MHz ECC Registered Memory
3x 3.5-inch SATA 1TB Hard Drives
DVD-ROM
RAID Controller
Dual embedded Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet NIC

1x Dell PowerEdge 2900
Dual Intel Xeon 2.33GHz/8M/1333FSB Quad Core Processors
16GB 667MHz ECC Registered Memory
3x 3.5-inch 1TBGB SATA Hard Drives
DVD ROM
RAID Controller
Dual embedded Broadcom NetXtreme IITM 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Redundant Power Supplies

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:01:34 PM by Michael R. Wally »

johnbentcope

• FamiLAB Member
  • I make technology into art and art into porridge.
    • View Profile
    • JohnBentCope
Re: Rackmount Servers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:26:14 PM »
I wonder if we could turn it into a render farm available to local digital artists

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I like colors.

Lance Hudson

• Vice President
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:48 PM »
I would love to have one or two so I can setup a virtual lab environment for teaching. Practice hacking. Practice defense. Ctfs. Lan games. And just general support for familab and classes.
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.
-- Michael Jordan

Michael R. Wally

• Be Mega!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:34 AM »
virtual lab environment for teaching. Practice hacking. Practice defense. Ctfs. Lan games. And just general support for familab and classes.

Sounds like a worthy cause.  Is two enough for this?  How many is ideal for this usecase?

Lance Hudson

• Vice President
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:04:03 AM »
Are any of those 64bit? I'm looking for virtualization extensions.  I need to be able to run at least 4 vm's with 1 gig memory a piece (preferably 6-10).  I think 2 of the c1425's, the 1900 with upgraded memory or the 2900 will do that. I'm not sure what else Willa and other may have in mind.

My original RFC:  http://forums.familab.org/index.php/topic,1394.msg8848.html#msg8848
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.
-- Michael Jordan

Michael R. Wally

• Be Mega!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »
I think 2 of the c1425's, the 1900 with upgraded memory or the 2900 will do that.

If you want to keep everything on a single server (for ease of administration), than the 2900 is definitely the ticket.  Wargaming and other lab stuff is absolutely something I can get behind, and I'd even be inclined to just bring the entire rack over to FamiLab and leave you to your devices.  My only real concern here is that the machines are put to use, and you seem poised to make that happen.

If you are looking for 6-10 virtual 1GB instances, you can easily do that with 3 of the 1U's.  (3 VMs on each, plus some reserved RAM for the host OS.)

Alternately, there are 10 SC1425's to be had.  If done properly, you could have one hell of a lab setup: A dedicated server to each OS configuration, using the "extra" disk space for snapshots and other administrative stuff.  There is no reason you can't still use virtualization despite having dedicated systems, just to make it easy to restore them to their intended state after each class/session/hack-attack.

Of course, it may be a bit wasteful to do it this way.  If the Virtual machines are serving no real purpose other than hosting OS installs -- with no real load -- perhaps it would be better to just use 1GB VMs on a few small servers.  If no other reason than to keep the electric bill down.

Let me know what works for you.  How many and which ones should I reserve for your project?  (Take them all if you need to -- just make them useful.)

PockyBum522

• Pocky
  • Oh alcohol, I still drink to your health~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
The 2900 looks particularly impressive, with which I would make a workstation. Right now for most of the workstations at the lab, we're running Core 2 Duos, usually with ~ or less than 4gb ram. This would definitely be a step up. I would personally set this up for the laser station. It would be nice to mount it on the rack table or underneath a table.

If the 2900 goes to Lance (Which I think it should, I like the idea) I'd take two or three of the 1425s to do that with as well.

PockyBum522

• Pocky
  • Oh alcohol, I still drink to your health~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
Also, thank you! This is an amazing offer :)

netadmindave

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
we could do all of these. a render farm on 2 or more machines. a virtualization lab and a DC407 test system. I would love to see some classes on vmware/xen/kvm use. Thank you for helping.

Lance Hudson

• Vice President
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »
So I think the answer is yes, we will put all of them to use as much as we can. :)
-- Michael Jordan

Michael R. Wally

• Be Mega!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
When would be a good time to drop them off?

Lance Hudson

• Vice President
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »
cough, probably should rfc, the space and power though.

RFC - http://forums.familab.org/index.php/topic,1550.0.html
-- Michael Jordan

Michael R. Wally

• Be Mega!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
OK, just let me know.

Also, I am not yet privileged to that area of the forum.  (soon)

Michael R. Wally

• Be Mega!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »
Have we any news on this?

Lance Hudson

• Vice President
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Sorry, this left my mind. Yes we would love to have them. I can be at the lab any day during the week after 6:30. I may be able to do this weekend if needed.
-- Michael Jordan