Address

Author Topic: 1970's Vending Machine  (Read 4339 times)

Simply7

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
1970's Vending Machine
« on: August 01, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »
So i can cerify that the model is C4-96G and in the back of the soda book are numbers where we can order parts.  I will check with them tomorrow for a thermostat.

Looks like one of the solenoids for dispensing the soda was removed.

The soda jerk works 559-298-4684
Funtronics inc 301-371-5246
Home Arcade corp 630-964-2567

Hybridsix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1970's Vending Machine
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
Or you could get a temperature sensor, an attiny, and some sort of relay for the compressor. If it ends up being less expensive.

Simply7

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
I checked and a replacement thermostat is only 37 or 50 bucks as there were two types for that machine. I poked around in the machine and cant find the original, looks like it was removed at some point. I did see where someone put in a non-stock temp sensor. Is there anyone that knows of the original? Its not super critical, but install may be easier.

On a side note I'm donating a spare android phone and Connor has agreed to write up an interface app so our machine will have touch screen interface.  Android-cola?

S7

Simply7

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »
Parts have been ordered, should be in next week earlyish.

johnbentcope

• FamiLAB Member
  • I make technology into art and art into porridge.
    • View Profile
    • JohnBentCope
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »
Wow go Simply7 for taking lead on that. Let us know when they come in. I'd love to help with the repair if I'm available.
I like colors.

Simply7

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:27 AM »
Sure thing.

bentruck

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »
Sweet beans.  8)
yes.

P47

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
Simply7... You ROCK!!!

It's gonna be AWESOME! Many thanks.

P47

Simply7

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
Parts have arrived. I'll be up at the lab tuesday evening. I know that everyone thinks its great that I 'm doing this, but I've never done this before... So its off to google/tube to figure this stuff out.  Anyone that has info or experience, please jump in.

Simply7

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:54:57 PM »
Its alive and vending rootbeer and guiness (pocky doesn't know we took his guiness)

This means we can do cans and/or bottles.

johnbentcope

• FamiLAB Member
  • I make technology into art and art into porridge.
    • View Profile
    • JohnBentCope
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:03 PM »
Very awesome! I couldn't make it out tonight, but I'm stoked to see the work!
I like colors.

P47

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »
Great Job!

Hybridsix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
So - Update. The Vending machine is now stocked with three slots of beverages; Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, and Coca-Cola. The 3rd slot does not have a working solenoid, so cannot vend at this time. The price is set at $0.50, and will accept quarters, dimes and nickles.

Last night after simply7 left, the machine was acting up and not taking any money or even allowing me to use the cheat vend button. Not sure if it was a compound issue or not, but somehow the switches inside the coinmech that take money were halfway switched from where we set them 40c switch was in the middle, not on or off. (Note: There are 4 very old-school dip switches, that set 5, 10, 20, and 40 cents) This caused the machine to not accept coins, or even lock in the relays for a ready to vend state with the cheat button.

The cheat/free vend button has also been removed.

While fixing this, I discovered a much easier way to change these Simply7, without removing the coinmech. - There are two levers on the top of the coinmech that you can press up, and the entire coin sorting mechanism will tilt and slide out. I set these back to the 50c setting, and put some gaffers tape over them, to prevent them from slipping due to vibration.

The internal temperature with the thermostat at the warmest setting was somewhere between 30 and 36 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on where you pointed the thermal sensor. Not sure if this will be warm enough to keep drinks from exploding again, but we'll see after a few days.

A Kill-A-Watt meter has been hooked up to the machine, so we can see how much the power will cost us to run this thing 24/7. It had a cycle last night of 00:08:30 off, 00:05:30 on (~40% Duty Cycle), and while on, was consuming about 330w. I forgot to check the steady-state  condition(doh!)

A few ideas to continue the process, before there is a fully developed application for this:

- NFC and RFID reader, tied back to the cards of members. This can use Ted's door database to track member purchases/authorizations.
- Someone mentioned micropayments and pre-authorized amounts via paypal. (You authorize up to $5 or something, it fills your "account" with this, and then every time you swipe your card, it will deduct the $0.50 from your balance, and set the vend condition as ready.
- FamiLAB reimbursement for drink purchases. I propose that if we operate the machine correctly, If you buy drinks, we can reimburse you for the cost via paypal with valid receipt, etc (Ian?) and then FamiLAB would retain all profits. Currently this sits to be about $0.20/can, +/- 5cents
- Free vends via RFID/NFC for soda-buying members - allow a certain number of free vends for their trouble

Hopefully I downloaded my brain before I forgot everything. Let me know if you remember something I don't.

Hybridsix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Also - If we're going to vend bottles or narrower cans, we need to build/print some of the spacers/shims that the manual is calling for, to accept the smaller sized cans. Otherwise, they won't vend properly all the time, and the machine could jam.

Simply7

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »
We are still missing a solenoid for dispensing soda from the third slot.  If someone has it, let me know and we'll get that installed. All the other parts (that went with the solenoid) are taped to the back of the Machine.