Address

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Lathe clean up / upgrades  (Read 1309 times)

joe.gravelle

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
Harbor Freight Lathe clean up / upgrades
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:29:52 AM »
This thread is to document the rebuilding of the Harbor Freight lathe that Factur sent our way, thanks Factur!

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html
Item #: 34706

So plan of action is to clean it up and make necessary repairs and upgrades so its safe to use.

the gearbox does work and it does spin, it probably needs to be lubricated. I've done some research and people have modified them to use a different motor and did away with the reversible head configuration because of its lack of usefulness.

I found a few posts online on upgrading the lathe

http://hardpan.com/34706-2/
I like the base they built for it as well as the motor upgrade and tool rest/banjo. I think this is the direction I would like to go

Items needed
  • tool rest with banjo
  • wood turning chisels
  • Tail stock and head stock
  • 3 jaw auto centering chuck and thread adapter

Tool Rest / Banjo

in the link above on someone elses upgrade they mentioned using the tool rest and banjo from a Delta lathe. I can't seem to find it anymore for $50 or cheaper but I can see that some off branded lathes on amazon use what appears to be the same style of tool rest and banjo

http://www.amazon.com/JWL-1221VS-12-Inch-21-Inch-Variable-Speed/dp/B00BGBVJCU/ref=sr_1_16?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1462796845&sr=1-16&keywords=lathe

Wood Turning Chisels

Harbor freight sells a decent set we can use for the general public use but if you want to use your own spend as much $$ as you'd like on them.

Notes
The first three are a bare minimum should we want to use the lathe to make non bowl things or something that requires a 3 jaw chuck.  After that we fall into the slippery slope of upgrades. Which research has shown this is a pretty good lathe for the hobby crowd and upgrades push it close to what the more expensive lathes can do for a fraction of the cost.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:41:33 AM by joe.gravelle »

amremington

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harbor Freight Lathe clean up / upgrades
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 09:21:42 AM »
Let me know what I can do to help!  I have a bunch of wood working tools at home but I do not have a lathe and it is something I really want to learn to use.  Helping rebuild and maintain it will help to understand it more.

joe.gravelle

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
feel free to attack it with WD-40 and a green scotchbrite pad to clean off the surface rust on the bed and what not.

I'd like to build a beefier base for it with storage as well but after we get the missing pieces.

JET makes a lath thats the same size as the harbor freight lathe and has a nicer tool rest holder aka banjo

https://parts.jettools.com/Detail.aspx?PartID=JWL1221VS-213
$40

https://parts.jettools.com/SearchResults.aspx?s=jwl1220-142
tool rest (6" and 10")

https://parts.jettools.com/SearchResults.aspx?s=jwl1221vs-215
eccentric rod

so I think we can get the tool rest and base plus the odds and ends for it for maybe under $80 which would be an upgrade compared to the crappy  HF version (plus shipping)

nevermind, all of the parts and pieces (probably can buy our own nuts and c clips for less than $3 each and not get the rubber cover for the eccentric rod to save a total of  11)

total parts cost from JET without shipping is $112.36 (and subject to parts availability and hoping this fits our lathe)

looked on craigslist to see if there are any lathes for sale and there are a few cheap lathes for under $200 but they look sketchy.

also this is when I will say to myself should I just buy a new $thing. The 12" variable speed JET lathe is $800 at rockler just an FYI.

Lastly,

I'm not very interested in getting into wood turning. But am willing to help get the lathe up and running. My interests are more based on hand tools and non lathe type things. So don't expect this thing to be running in a weeks time. If anyone else wants to be the lathe person by all means step up and run with it. In the mean time I'll work on it when time permits.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:26:25 AM by joe.gravelle »

amremington

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »
I will be in the lab tonight to work on some 3D printing I want to get done.  However, this is still on my "want" list so I will definitely be working on it today.  Do you know if there is WD40 and scotchbrite pads in the lab?  If not I can pick some up on my way in.

joe.gravelle

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
Not sure about WD40 but over in the shelves behind the HAAS I saw some green scrubby pads. I believe Dave is going to turn a new pulley for the lathe.

amremington

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »
Ok so I never ended up working on it.  I kept forgetting to stop and get the WD40.  I picked it up today along with a couple scotch bright pads.  If all goes well I should be able to stop by the lab tomorrow around 6 or 6:30 PM to work on this if someone will be there to let me in.

Lance Hudson

• Vice President
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »
I will be at the lab thur from 10am to midnight
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.
-- Michael Jordan

amremington

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 08:48:47 AM »

I started to work on the lathe last night.  I was able to clean up some of the rust but I didn't get too far with it just yet.  On my way into the lab I stopped at Rockler to pick up some materials and I asked about lathe parts.  They said they do carry some so this may be an option for things like the tool rest.

Joe,
I know I am pretty much the only one interested in getting this fixed up but I have a few projects that I could really use this for.  I would like to try out some pen turning for example.  I don't really know the mechanics behind the lathe but if you have time I would like to meet up at the lab and go over what more I can do to help rebuild it.

joe.gravelle

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »
I do believe I put a parts list of JET or another brand of lathe parts that will work on this thing. As far as others go I've never used one either.   I do believe Dave needs to turn a new pulley for the lathe