Address

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 697 times)

Iggy

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
Introduction
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
Hi. My name is Iggy and I am a geek Dad. I make a living as a software engineer but really I'm a serial enthusiast.

I collect tools and hobbies. I believe art is the process not the object.

I can weld, solder, cast metal, code, run a lathe/mill, and work with leather. Mostly at a beginner level.

I have built CNC machines, constructed a blast furnace, restored a 1940s lathe, designed high power LED lighting fixtures, and made a remote controlled lawn mower.

I'd like to try my hand at lost PLA casting this year and I want to learn as much as possible from FamiLAB. Currently, I'm working on a 3d delta printer and hope to benefit from the lab's experience.

I look forward to meeting you all at the next open house and learning more about the community.

nanolith

• View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »
I'm also interested in doing lost PLA.  I have a Solidoodle printer, and some eutectic alloy.  Eventually, I want to work my way up to casting aluminum, gold, and silver.

Iggy

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »
Fantastic! Which eutectic alloy do you have? How do you like the Solidoodle? I'm currently setup for casting aluminum or bronze and would be more than happy to share what I've learned. I think my equipment is probably too large for working with gold efficiently but I'd love to try spin casting.

nanolith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »
The Solidoodle fairly decent.  It's heavy, so it doesn't move around a lot like some of the older 3D printers.

I'm currently using Field's metal, but it is rather expensive.  There are a few cheaper Bismuth alloys I want to try...