Address

Author Topic: Hackerspace / Makerspace Organizers Meetup - March 2012  (Read 1842 times)

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
Hackerspace / Makerspace Organizers Meetup - March 2012
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:56:01 AM »
I'm being asked on a regular basis about how to start a hackerspace / makerspace.

I think it is time for FamiLAB to help spread what we do to other parts of Florida, and maybe learn a few things along the way.

I'm proposing a MARCH 2013 Hackerspace / Makerspace Organizers Meetup @ FamiLAB.

I'm currently thinking about SATURDAY, MARCH 9TH before our Raspberry Pi class so that those interested in seeing how we run classes can stay for the class.

Please post your interest in attending, helping organize, etc. - any ideas for content - and if that date works / does not work for you. Ideally, we'd have some of the FamiLAB founders attend - while I know lots about the operational side of a hackerspace, I've never started one :)

James1902

• View Profile
Re: Hackerspace / Makerspace Organizers Meetup - March 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for setting this up! I've been wondering about this process for a while and would love to attend. However there is a FIRST robotics competition at UCF that weekend and Saturday is the 'Finals' day. If it can't be rescheduled maybe someone could record it and post it on the web for those of us who couldn't attend?

Thanks again.

willasaywhat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
I like this plan. Let me know when we finalize a time/date and I can add it to the calendar and do the RSVP setup. Time for a new FamiLAB slide deck?

PierreB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
I'm interested in attending and I quite like the idea of being able to see/attend a class after. March 9th works fine for me.

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
If it can't be rescheduled maybe someone could record it and post it on the web for those of us who couldn't attend?

Yes, a big part of doing this (for me) is to be able to have a document (or forum) to share with someone when they ask.

Hmmm...maybe we should start a Florida Hackerspaces forum on here for now to start the discussion. Not that FamiLAB wants to be the meta hackerspace, but we can provide it as a service for now...

PierreB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
If it can't be rescheduled maybe someone could record it and post it on the web for those of us who couldn't attend?

Yes, a big part of doing this (for me) is to be able to have a document (or forum) to share with someone when they ask.

Hmmm...maybe we should start a Florida Hackerspaces forum on here for now to start the discussion. Not that FamiLAB wants to be the meta hackerspace, but we can provide it as a service for now...

I like the Florida Hackerspaces forum idea! We've just launched a website for our Palm Beach LED makerspace last week (http://www.pbled.org) and it would be great to have somewhere with an established community to discuss this kind of thing. Is March 9th still looking like the date for the hackerspace/makerspace organizer meetup?

johnbentcope

• FamiLAB Member
  • I make technology into art and art into porridge.
    • View Profile
    • JohnBentCope
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:28:19 PM »
Whoop whoop I'm in for this
I like colors.

digitalman2112

• Lab Dad (ex-treasurer)
  • FamiLAB Member
  • Work Hard, Play Hard!
    • View Profile
    • Raising Geeks
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:12:10 AM »
Pierre - I saw the new site - awesome.

I can still do March 9th. I'd also give thought to a hangout FIRST so we can discuss content, etc. before people make a long drive and are disappointed because the discussion wasn't exactly what they were looking for....