Address

Author Topic: Orlando Open House 1 April 2014?  (Read 1148 times)

fred_dot_u

• View Profile
Orlando Open House 1 April 2014?
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »
Hello, all, first post for this new member to the forum. I'm looking forward to exploring the thousands of messages already posted, as long as my head does not explode from the collection.

I see that Orlando is probably the closest FamiLAB to Daytona, and it's really in Longwood. I've attempted the RSVP link for the site, but it is not really a submit-type web site, so it can't really be an RSVP, can it?

Is an Open House event a certainty? The round trip distance involved is just outside the range of my primary transportation, a 2003 Toyota Rav4EV, but there's what appears to be a public access charger about a quarter of a mile south of the FamiLAB location. If I can get a confirmation of the activity, I'll then pursue the contact for confirmation of the charger use. That will enable me to connect up, charge during the activity, and drive home successfully.

With Orlando Mini Maker Faire approaching, I'm in the same boat, but with the same solution, a public charger just around the corner.

thanks

fred

johnbentcope

• FamiLAB Member
  • I make technology into art and art into porridge.
    • View Profile
    • JohnBentCope
Re: Orlando Open House 1 April 2014?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:56:44 AM »
Oh yes. We never miss an Open House. We look forward to seeing you out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I like colors.

Hybridsix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »
fred_dot_u - the Orlando Science center (where maker faire will be) has several EV charging spots in the garage on the first level. I believe there are 4 spots, and only 1 or two are ever in use that i've seen at any time.

fred_dot_u

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
I've just confirmed with the owner of a property on explorer cove just down the way from you that I can charge on his stations. I'm also glad to hear that the Science Center has EV charging available. It's important that I can be assured of a charge location, as being stuck 50 miles from home is an unpleasant thought. I would be stuck approximately 20 miles from home if I attempted a round trip without a charge, but stuck is stuck.

I'm in the process of assembling and learning David Laser Scanner stuff. Is this something of interest to the group that I should bring with me to the Open House, or is that an inappropriate event or similarly improper for other reasons?

bethjaneway

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:11:32 PM »
Walgreens in Altamonte Springs has an EV charger. It's on the Semoran Blvd side, on the left side. This is about 10 min from FamiLAB.   http://m.walgreens.com/mt/www.walgreens.com/locator/walgreens-113-maitland-ave-altamonte-springs-fl-32701/id=6922
Note: To improve mood, administer chocolate.