Address

Author Topic: Thank you for the Open House (09/03/2013)  (Read 1106 times)

AJAX

• FamiLAB Member
  • Eseroid Esetech, LLC CEO/Founder
    • View Profile
    • Eseroid Esetech, LLC
Thank you for the Open House (09/03/2013)
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »
Hello, my name is Andrew Rager, but you can call me AJAX.
I wanted to thank you for the open house tonight. The members were very polite and courteous. The open house was very informative. I also enjoyed learning about the equipment. The posters and decorations, along with the entire lounge area, was icing on the cake. I hope to become a member of FamiLAB by the next member meeting in 2 weeks (09/17/2013). What days and times would be good to come to make friends and socialize with members before that meeting? I will be attending the soldering class tomorrow night (09/04/2013) at 9:00pm, but I am unsure of how much socializing I will get to do during that class. I am a little shy, so I do apologize if I don't talk much, or seem distracted, while in person. I hope to make many friends in the months to come. In addition, I am willing to help with a project if I am available. I wish to learn as much as I can. Thank you all for having such an awesome facility.
-AJAX

airflem

• FamiLAB Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you for the Open House (09/03/2013)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
Hey AJAX,

I'm a prospective newbie too, and I'll be at the soldering class. See you then.

Cheers,

Aaron

willasaywhat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
We didn't have a chance to talk at the Open House, as it was kind of crazy, but I'm glad you (both) made it to the forums. Our membership process consists of a few steps:
  • Get to know us ? visit us during an Open House or Contact us to setup a private tour, sign-up for a public class, or  join us at an event.  This is important, as you will need sponsors for your membership application.
  • Connect with us on our forums, IRC, or social media
  • Print out and complete the membership packet.  You will need two existing members as sponsors.
  • Come to a monthly meeting to be confirmed
  • Setup recurring membership dues using the PayPal buttons below
  • Get your RFID access card

Getting to know everyone is an important step, as it level sets expectations, and ensures you have someone you connect with within the group. We ask that you meet, and get to know, at least two people who are willing to sign off and give you an endorsement on your paperwork. Usually two or three events is enough to meet people, get acquainted, and for us to do the same with you.

You made it here to the forums already, which is awesome, because this is one of our primary methods of communication. We have some Members Only forums which we use for official business and major decision making, as well as for project discussions. We used to have a mailing list, but we outgrew it, and today we tend to use Google Hangouts to talk during the day. IRC is still up, but has been quiet as of late.

The membership forms are a critical component of the process, as they let us make sure you will be able to become a member. A couple items to point out, we are an 18+ shop for liability reasons, we do require two signatures from existing members, and there is a liability waiver we use that you will need to sign. We ask that you complete all of the forms ahead of the meeting, including getting your signatures. There are 3 forms right now:

Once you have your paperwork squared away, we ask that you attend one of the monthly membership meetings. In that meeting, we have a standing agenda item to confirm or reject applications for membership. We typically take the paperwork, ask a few questions about you, and then send the candidates to the lounge while we do a quorum vote. If all goes well, we will let you know the great news and move on to the on-boarding step.

Matt or David (Pockybum) will send an email to the address we have on file with instructions on how to set up the recurring payments on PayPal, and explain a few things about the lab.

After payment is confirmed by our treasurer or his faithful helpers, David will issue you an RFID key card that will give you 24/7 access to the space.

Hope that helps,
~ wcr
FamiLAB President :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:38:09 PM by abyssknight »

AJAX

• FamiLAB Member
  • Eseroid Esetech, LLC CEO/Founder
    • View Profile
    • Eseroid Esetech, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
Will anybody be available tonight around 7:30pm or 8:00pm to show me how to use Cura with the 3D printer and help me troubleshoot a model I made so I can print it? Thanks in advance!